[VAC] Size does matter - but how much?

Hi y'all,

First time writing to the list - but I've been reading it for a long time now.

We are hoping to take our '69 Globetrotter (21') camping next month and I am
having trouble figuring out just where we can take it.  Many campground
guides and websites list maximum RV lengths such as:

"Only small trailers up to 24 feet"

or

"Up to 34 foot motorhomes"

or

"Driveway length 30 feet"
etc.

If our Globetrotter is 21 feet and the Suburban towing it is 18 feet (not
counting the 17 foot canoe on top of it) - does that limit us to only sites
that are approximately 40 feet - which are few and far between in my favorite
campgrounds?  OR  should I figure that they would allow a 21 foot trailer in
almost any site and we could park the Suburban elsewhere?

Nitpicky camp hosts aside - what's the general rule of thumb here?

Thanks,

Virginia Fesunoff
1969 Globetrotter
17.4' Old Town Discovery