[VAC] Re: Brake line fuses

Are you saying that you should not use a circuit breaker either??   I
realized the folly of using a fuse after I thought about it, but I figured
that a circuit breaker would come back on. Without a circuit breaker, I'm
afraid I might have an electrical fire.  I can see your point, however.

> Shorts in 12 brake systems are almost always related to poor or lack of
> proper care

And with a 31 year old trailer and a 29 year old tow car, I get even more
concerned!

While on this subject, what is the proper gauge of wire to run from the
brake controller to the back of the tow vehicle?

I have not been happy with my brakes since my kids pulled my breakaway
switch and fried my magnets. (1971 Globe Trotter, single axle).  With the
new magnets the brakes are just not as strong as they once were. I can't get
the wheels to skid even if I adjust the controller to maximum ....unless I
am moving slowly and/or the surface is slippery. I figure that the brakes
should be able to lock up on dry pavement at, say, 35MPH if the rheostat is
on maximum setting.  Under normal conditions, I figure that the rheostat in
the controller should be adjusted so that they won't skid. In other words,
normally they would NOT be working at their maximum capacity. The way mine
are now, I have no reserve. Sometimes I wish they were a little stronger.
How do you usually judge if the braking action is OK? Are there different
strength magnets? I've tried adjusting the shoes to no avail. What do you
think I should look at next? What voltage should I see at the brake magnets?

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html