[VAC] Re: After Stripping....

Tim,

Nice job!  How much more to go?  Where'd you purchase the Bix Stripper?
Was it easy to apply?  How much may you apply at a time, how many panels
or square feet each without the stripper drying out or does it even do
that?

Are you using *any* sort coating in those pictures or are they just
stripped areas?

I'm not a rocket scientist by a long shot but I would think you must
protect the skin with "something, anything" such as a carnuba wax at the
very least.

I don't know for sure if these older Airstreams (we own the 1969 29'
International Ambassador model) used 'clad' aluminum or not.  Regardless
though this skin *will* surely put a light layer of corrosion over
itself if you don't at least wax the surface.  Clad aluminum is a very
thin microscopic layer of pure aluminum which does cause a microscopic
layer of oxidation (corrosion) to form over itself if not at least
waxed, primed and painted, etc.

Clad aluminum works very nicely to inhibit "more" corrosion as the
oxidation process tries to prevent penetration to the aluminum alloy
base metal underneath.  All bets are off if the metal gets the tiniest
scratch though as that will then pierce the microscopic layer of
oxidation formed on the top of the clad aluminum.

Aluminum that is unclad must be primed and painted to resist corrosion.
Clad aluminum must be waxed to prevent corrosion preferable before
exposure to the elements.

Me?  I'd wax that nice looking job if I were you.  I sure would.

Tom