[VAC] FW: buying a'74 sovereign 31'

I would be wary of this trailer as rust scale literally falling from the
frame rails is not a good sign.  I would also be concerned that what you
are hearing fall could be something falling other than rust scale - -
rodent droppings, insects, etc.  If you are really serious about this
rig, have you considered having a knowledgeable Airstream mechanic check
the trailer - - the going rate for such services in my area is from $150
to $250 depending on the complexity of the inspection you desire - -
basic being water-waste-gas-electrical-safety systems and obvious
evidence of leaks - - - the more involved inspection would include
opening the belly pan to inspect frame rails (usually done only on
request where frame integrity problems are suspected).

2. I would like to tow the trailer with a vintage auto yet to be
purchased. My ideal; an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon. We are
prepared to get a Suburban, but if the right "car" was found I would be
psyched (my wife?  not exactly with me on the nostalgic side of the
car). Any encouraging words?

<reply>

I am in the process of readying a vintage tow vehicle for my ’64
Overlander.  (I am assuming that you are considering the ’64 to ’72
Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser which was a mid-size model rather than the ‘80s
model which was in the full-size rear drive platform and called the
Custom Cruiser.)  As the former owner of the Vista Cruiser’s twin, a
Buick Sport Wagon, I could not recommend towing a trailer the size of a
Sovereign behind the Vista Cruiser.  It was a mid-size series with a
maximum of 350 cubic displacement in most years.  Another potential
drawback would be the lack of a hydramatic three speed transmission - -
some of the early Vista Cruisers and Sport Wagons had the two-speed
cousin of the Chevrolet Powerglide.  There were a few years where a
knowledgeable dealer could order a 400 or even a 455 cubic inch engine
(if my informant is correct), but these would be scarce and quite
collectable within the vintage auto hobby.  My ’71 Buick Sport Wagon had
a maximum trailer tow rating of 5,000 pounds and that was with the
complete factory towing package that required the 350 cubic inch motor,
automatic, hd cooling/transmission cooler, hd springs and suspension
components, and a 3.73 differential.  It was rather twitchy with
anything more than a 20 foot box type travel trailer.

In any event, towing with a vintage/collector car poses a number of
dilemmas.  Those that I have faced have included:

1. Typical collector car insurance does not cover the car if it is used
to tow any kind of trailer for any reason.  Read that your insurance is
invalidated if your connect your collectible trailer to your vintage tow
vehicle.  My solution was to be direct with my automobile insurance
agent.  I told him that I intended to tow my Vintage Airstream behind my
’75 Cadillac convertible and that I wanted to be sure that the car was
fully insured when doing so.  He spent several hours researching the
issue talking with a number of underwriters.  Finally placed the
insurance with a carrier who had no objection so long as the following
criteria were met:
a. The trailer would only be towed behind the collector car when the
objective of the excursion was to attend a club function either Vintage
Airstream Club or a Marque Collector Car club function or a judged
automobile show that was advertised in widely distributed media.
b. I had to agree to provide proof of ownership and insurance on a
modern tow vehicle capable of towing my Vintage Airstream.
c. Any tours that would place my annual mileage on the Cadillac over
3,000 miles will require a specific rider and proof of registration for
a distant show or club activity.
2. Finding a welder who would fabricate the necessary receiver hitch
proved somewhat difficult.  Every local RV dealer that I checked with
indicated that they no longer installed weld-up kits and didn’t have
contact with welders willing to do so.  I finally found two dealers who
shared names of welders who frequently purchased weld-up kits from them.
While neither of these referenced worked out, one did suggest checking
the yellow pages of small-town phone directories with a strong
agricultural base for welders who advertise trailer hitch services.  The
local phone directory for a town in the Illinois corn belt provided
paydirt - - two welders advertised hitch work.  The first one that I
checked with was reluctant to fabricate a trailer hitch for the car.
The second who also ran a busy automotive shop was willing provided that
I was willing to have my care fully checked for mechanical and
structural soundness.  The car passed, and he installed a beautifully
fabricated receiver hitch that in no way detracts from the beauty of the
car.  And the shocker was his fee of under $250.00 for the entire job
(thorough inspection and hitch installation).
3. It is extremely unlikely that you will find an automobile with the
heavy duty trailer towing package so you will likely end up making
upgrades such as  (The required upgrades on my Cadillac have cost nearly
$1,000 to this point and I am not absolutely sure that it is ready to
tow the Overlander yet.
a. Heavy duty radiator
b. Transmission Oil Cooler
c. Heavy Duty Springs (especially in the rear) and possibly air shocks
or bags
d. Large bore dual exhaust system including catalytic converters if
vehicle is a 1975 or later may be required for some applications.
e. Numerically higher rear differential (most tow packages required at
least 3.23 or numerically higher ratings) - - Remember if considering a
front drive (Toronado/Eldorado) changing the final drive gear ratios is
very difficult (read EXPENSIVE) so the factory recommended towing limits
are usually low - - only 5,500 pounds on my ’75 Eldorado.
f. Switching from two barrel carburetor/manifold to four barrel
carburetor/manifold if the car wasn’t equipped with the performance V8.
g. A heavy duty alternator may need to be added on some cars.
4. Finding mechanics who are familiar with the operating systems on a
car that predates fuel injection.  One of the most exasperating problems
that I have faced in the year-long battle to get my Cadillac prepped has
been finding mechanics who a proficient in solving fuel delivery and
electrical problems without the aid of computerized error codes.  Prior
to moving to the Quad Cities, my local Cadillac dealer always had a
“Senior” mechanic who was well versed in 1970’s Cadillacs and GM cars in
general - - and it was those two mechanics who kept this car purring for
years.  Relocating to the Quad Cities found a Cadillac dealer who
basically told me that they do not work on non-fuel injected cars or
trucks. Independent mechanics can be found who are very proficient with
these cars, but it is not easy and is a continuing problem and one that
can pose some concerns when traveling especially if you have little if
any flexibility in your travel itinerary.
5. It is quite possible that when stressed after being allowed to loaf
for the better part of three decades, flexible seals in transmissions
and the engine may balk and need to be replaced.  I know from previous
experience that I may be looking at having my transmission overhauled
for seal replacement since it has been allowed to loaf for the last
108,000 miles of easy highway life.
6. Be prepared for frequent fuel stops.  The large fuel tank in my
Suburban allows a towing range in excess of 300 miles, but the Cadillac,
even when driven solo, only has about a 250 mile driving range (I am
estimating a towing range of about 175 miles).

I know that I have painted a rather bleak picture, but there are
definite safety and drivability concerns when putting a collector car
into trailer towing service.   Why do people want to attempt this
process?  It allows us to combine and enjoy two hobbies.  In addition
the combination of a Vintage Airstream and similar vintage tow vehicle
can create a crowd wherever they stop.  Can I justify my decision to tow
with my collector car?--Not on any level from a cost/benefit perspective
in an economic sense.  This is just something that I want to do because
I enjoy vacationing in my Airstream and I am missing so much of the best
driving season for the Cadillac convertible.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359