[VAC] Re: Dead bolt

Greetings Jim!

If my '64 Overlander is any indication, the deadbolt lock was not always
aftermarket.  I have known my Overlander since it was first towed home
by my neighbors in 1964 behind a 1957 Mercury Monterey.  The trailer was
a special order, and it had a non locking entry latch-set with a
deadbolt below.  These remained with the trailer until the latch-set
wore out and came apart in my hands after the International Rally in
Sioux Falls, SD.  My local Airstream dealer replaced both of these
latches this spring with their modern equivalents (the deadbolt was
still functional but required annual rebuilding by a local locksmith to
keep it functional).  I find my deadbolt to be a worthwhile safety
feature with absolutely no aesthetic detraction to the trailer - - it is
polished aluminum finish as is the handset.

Kevin Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 K2500 Suburban
WBCCI/VAC #6359