[VAC] Re: Towing in Overdrive//Roof Vent Cover & Operators//Drapery Tabs

There is not a definitive answer to this question other than to refer to
your owner's manual.  My '95 K1500 Chevrolet pickup was prohibited from
towing in overdrive and it was readily obvious why - - if ever permitted
to be in overdrive when towing it hunted continuously between OD and 3rd
gear.  I too had fuel mileage similar to what you are reporting both
solo and towing.  The solo mileage is typical for small block V8 tow
vehicles loaded to or at the maximum GVWR.

After tiring of the lackluster performance of my K1500 (7.4 Liter), I
traded it on a '99 GMC K2500 Suburban that was special ordered with a
Heavy Duty Overdrive transmission that permits towing in overdrive - -
returning from the International in Rapid City, I averaged 13 MPG towing
in overdrive most (85%) of the time - - as directed in the owner's
manual, I downshifted whenever the transmission began "hunting".

AND: roof vent covers. the rear cover is
jimmy-rigged and tied down as a temporary rain
block but it won't last long when one of our
famous coastal hurricane-strength winds hits..
current cover is pretty much trash.. the latches
are broken and missing and the hinge thingys on
the cover are bent and rusted and useless. what
are my options to fill this hole? does it need to
be openable.. some people put little sunroofs
here, right? rain happens at any time of year
here, so it's a priority to have all the holes
filled and covered. i DO like the idea of being
able to open it, though.

I would suggest that you might want to try saving your original aluminum
vent covers if possible.  The original LaDue operators are obsolete, but
reproduction replacements (not exact, but totally functional) are
available from Inland RV.  One of my original vents had been made into a
skylight as you suggest, but it became another source for leaks and it
was desperately needed for ventilation at AC limited rallies.  I now
have an operational vent with the reproduction operators that
significantly increased comfort levels at this year's International
Rally.

If your original aluminum covers are not repairable, you might consider
a Fantastic vent as many have done.  These modern power vents provide a
significant improvement in comfort levels when camping in AC limited
situations.  These were a fairly direct replacement item for the missing
vents on my Overlander when I purchased it several years ago.  In
addition, these vents provide beneficial venting and air circulation
with minimal intrusion.

oh ya, this is not priority, but does anyone know
if those little plastic drapery tabs can be found
anywhere? does anyone manufacture an aftermarket
replacement that fits the original curtain rods?

Most of these devices were products of the Kirsch Drapery company, and
many are still available.  A knowledgeable local Kirsch dealer may be
able to help you.  I believe, but am not certain, that most Ethan Allen
Furniture Galleries also handle Kirsch Drapery products.

Good luck with your project!!

Kevin Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
WBCCI/VAC #6359