[VAC] Re: Electric Tongue Jack

I agree that the electric tongue jack is a beneficial addition,
especially if towing in areas where high temperatures/humidity make the
hitching process nearly unbearable at times.  I had one of these marvels
installed on my Overlander last summer.  I have since learned that I
might want to make a change in its installation.  When returning from
the International Rally in Rapid City, I was experiencing electrical
difficulties a various natures - - one of which apparently disabled the
electric jack - - after having manually cranked the jack to hitch the
trailer and then manually retracted it - - it somehow managed to deploy
itself while we were traveling East on Interstate 90 - - its deployment
was evidenced by a feeling similar to suspension bottoming on the tow
vehicle - - after the third "bottoming" I pulled to the shoulder to
discover that the jack had deployed to a point approximately one-half
inch from the road surface and the jack was again inoperable
electrically - - manually retracted the jack and cut its electrical
supply line.  My intent is to have a connector plug devised so that
power only goes to the jack when it is being used - - the rest of the
time, it will be disconnected - - my plan is to use a two wire
quick-disconnect device similar to the four-wire flat plugs used for
light utility trailers.  This probably will not happen to anyone else,
but my trailer seems to be unusually subject to Murphy's Law.  Scott and
Lise Scheuermann can attest to at least two of these attacks in the last
three years!

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
WBCCI/VAC #6359