[VAC] Re: 1960 bucket of bolts

Jill,

Congratulations on your newly acquired "bucket of bolts". Breaking the
jackpost is just the beginning of your initiation.
I would suggest you seriously consider an electric jackpost. Your Tradewind
has a dry tongue weight of 340lbs. Hitching up with a load equalizing hitch
will require cranking the post up with the truck locked in the coupler to
ease the hookup of the spring bars. With that kind of weight added you will
get a workout with a hand crank. The electric jackpost will make life soooo
much easier. The currently available H&H jackpost cost around $300. Atwood
makes one as well, but it is noisier and makes adding a flag mount harder.
They both have switch lites on the post and the H&H has an easily
accessible manual over ride.
The older coach A frames had a second gusset plate at the bottom behind the
coupler. Often this plate's hole was only big enough for the inner tube and
will have to be enlarged for most newer jackposts of either type.
If you decide to stay with a manual jackpost I strongly recommend you get a
sidewinder rather than a top wind. Top winds can be real knuckle busters.

Charlie