[VAC] Re: flooring - redo plywood?

Hi, Jill - and welcome back
Tongue jack... I'd prop up the tongue a bit higher than normal (you'll see
why, i think), remove the old jack, and bring it with you when you go to a
regular utility trailer/horse trailer place (the rv places tend to gouge on
these items). If the jack is mounted from below the tongue, it needs to be
cranked all the way 'up' (shortest length), bolts loosened, and dropped down
from the tongue... this seems to me to be the 'correct' way to bolt a tongue
jack onto your trailer, so that the weight of the trailer pushes down onto
the flange... however, it's much easier to mount/remove it from above, so i
guess that's why most of them are installed that way... if anyone knows a
reason that the jack should be mounted one way or another, i'm sure they'll
chime in.

Floor - if the subfloor seems solid (not 'spongey' in places/no daylight)
i'd leave it in place... float some wood putty (better yet, what they call
'water putty' into the voids and low-spots... sand the whole floor flat,
then soak it with that penetrating epoxy from Fiberglass Coatings in
Florida... much less expensive than the equivalent stuff from West Marine...
i would not recommend messing with floor-replacement unless you're prepared
to go for a full shell-off renovation - you might not have to remove the
shell, but you might... Once the sub-floor is flat and sealed, you can put
any damned thing on it your heart desires... i'm still favoring the cork
stuff...

Have fun!

Tuna
(who just traded the '99 Durango for an '02 Dodge Ram 3500 dually, with I6
Cummins and is suffering from sticker shock)