[VAC] Floor tar removal

I used a heat gun like you would use for scraping paint and a stiff putty
knife size scraper.  Use lots of heat and you should be able to pick up
everything including the bottom layer of pinky grey adhesive underneath the
tarry stuff.  Shari Davis has pictures at her website:

http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/

Click on "during" and then "flooring".

Choice of flooring is kind of a matter of personal preference.  Many people
use tiles to replicate the original look.  At least one guy cut them down to
9 x 9 to get the original size.  My wife and I like Armstrong Marmorette
sheet linoleum for its retro look.  Shari Davis used this as well.  She used
silver,  we'll use either yellow or red.  I also like the idea of no seams.

As far as edging. I'm hoping I can do a good enough job on the installation
that I won't need any.  most of the edges will be under the shower, refer or
threshold trim or under the gauchos so if I can do a good job on about 6
feet I think it will look good.  I have removed the closet wall for the work
on the floor and will trim the bottom of that with a small (1/4 X 3/4) piece
of hardwood stained to match the wall.  This originally had a piece of
plastic cove which is really shabby looking after 40 years.

Good luck on the tar removal.

Dick
'62 Bambi