[VAC] Re: Van as Tow Vehicle

I'm pulling my 68 Overlander with a 95 Ford E250.  The
van has a 5.8L V8 and the E4OD typical of Fords.  It
also has the extended length body. The Overlander
weighed in at 4300 pounds on a recent trip.

I have no complaints about the handling. This is
pretty good, especially considering the amount of rear
axle overhang that you get with the extended body.
Almost all truck/wind-induced sway is with the van
itself and not the trailer.  Try the van out on a busy
highway and you should have a pretty good idea about
handling, without even hooking up a trailer.

I think GM makes an extended body in which the
wheelbase is actually lengthened.  It probably doesn't
do much for turning radius, but I'll bet it has one of
the best ratios of overhang to wheelbase I've seen.

Power is another matter.  The van will tow as fast as
most people would want to go...on flat ground.  Once
you start up hill, the gas engine shows its
limitations.  I think this might be improved on the
one ton models, with their higher ratio axles.

One problem with the van is that no one seems to make
performance equipment for the engines.  Everyone seems
to make this stuff for the pickups only.  I don't know
why this is (limited space under the hood?).

Because I have a 3/4 ton van, the rear end doesn't
squat much when you put the trailer on it.  If the van
in question is 1/2 ton, be sure that it will handle
the job.  Note that the Ford half ton vans tend to
have smaller brakes, lower ratio rear axles (for
mileage--not towing) and less cooling capacity, in
addition to the lighter suspension components.  I
would look into this carefully on the GM.

Overall, I am happy with my van, but wouldn't mind a
powerstroke diesel ;)  We already have two kids and
will probably have more.  So, it is really helpful to
have the extra space (strollers, carrying packs, etc).
 The pricing of vans seems pretty good, too.  I would
recommend a 3/4 or one ton van for anyone in a similar
situation.  If you don't have kids, AND you want
monster towing power, I would get a diesel pickup.

Sorry if this was too detailed, but early on I had a
hard time finding folks who towed with vans to give
opinions.  There's another guy named Jon Michaels with
a V-10 van.  Talk to him or see his website.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander