[VAC] Grover Products compressor on 59 Ambassador International

Greetings all,
The Grover Products 12 volt compressor used on the water system of my 59
Ambassador International isn't working. I removed the crankcase portion from
the end of the motor and discovered a pile of rust and aluminum corrosion
stopping the motor/connecting rod from spinning. I cleaned up the motor and
the crankcase and got the motor to run. Does anyone know if there is
supposed to be oil in this crankcase and what type would be used. I suspect
that some of what would normally be there will likely over time work its way
into the water system through normal use. If I used motor oil, contamination
will surely occur.  I'm wondering if vegetable oil could be used. I'm not
sure how great the lubricating properties are with vegetable oil however I
remember people using some form of vegetable oil in two stroke motorcycles
in the 70's.
Thanks for the input,
Colin Hyde
57 Sovereign of the Road