[VAC] Re: Tire Pressure Monitor

I saw this posting some weeks ago, and am of the opinion that this is
typical government knee-jerk reaction.

Not that the systems aren't good......I have the SmarTire devices installed
on my trailer and they work pretty well.

BUT......

It's not a "plug and play" system.  The user has to input some parameters,
specifically normal required tire pressure, the point at which the alarm
should sound, temperature correlation, tire locations, and "alert" and
"alarm" levels.

I suppose these could be done at the manufacturers, and as long as the user:

1.  Never changed tire sizes/load ranges.
2.  Always check to see the tires were properly inflated.
3.  Never rotated tires without re-inputting some parameters.
4.  Remembered that morning cold pressures are often less than the afternoon
pressures, and can set off the alarms.

It might work.  I had little problems for almost 18 months, and then the
receiver/display unit died and I had to have it replaced.  Then I had to
input all the parameters.  Then I discovered that you don't do that as the
instructions say, but in another, very specific, order.  (Maybe they have
rewritten the manual).

Then I discovered that low levels of RF can screw the whole thing up.  I had
ham radio rigs in the truck, and they messed up the programming of the
system.  Not good.

If our Government thinks the average driver is going to handle something
that requires that level of attention, then they are really out of touch.

Roger

Roger Hightower, N7KT
WBCCI 4165, VAC, TCT
1975 31' Sovereign, '02 F-250 PSD