[VAC] Re: Front Window Protector

I have a different opinion !  The front window cover was designed  to
protect the vital (and expensive to replace) front window from being
shattered by a kick back from the puller's rear wheel.  This is no small
problem.  Notice that larger RV's that pull vehicles have extensive skirts
to block rocks.  My PU was towed for a while and the front end is pock
marked with hundreds of rock pits.

The basic structure of a window cover is not hard to duplicate.  A piano
hinge at top, aluminum angle "iron" for frame and some really tough
corrugated roofing material, two hinged arm with a locking nut and 2
fastening plates.  These items exist on many types of travel trailers and
can be found in scrap.

As to peering through your rear view mirror and sighting traffic from
behind,  I would caution you not to divide your attention for such a precise
task.  It only takes a fraction of a second of distraction to cause disaster
at highway speed.  I learned this when I rolled my 66 Ford puller in the
Baja.  Concentrating on what's ahead is job one.  Sighting through three
windows and one mirror seems dangerous to me.  As to backing, the width of
the Airstream makes sighting the sides easy . . . just go slow and follow
Wally's time honored backing technique as spelled out in your owners
handbook.  Peering through the windows with your center rear view mirror
won't help.

One last thing.  If your face your tongue into inclement weather the window
cover is the best awning you've got.

Bob Kiger  http://cruiserbob.com
66 Airstream Safari
Mira Mar Mobile Park