[VAC] Precision Temp Installation

Bob-
The tankless water heater was installed in the same
manner as a conventional heater, with the exhaust
exiting externally thru the curbside rear panel same
way the Bowen did.  The PrecisionTemp unit and access
door are smaller, so you either sheet in around the
new access cover, or you just leave the old Bowen
cover in place and cut out inside it to accommodate
the new heater cover.  The PrecisionTemp site spells
out the dimensional differences.

Afterwards I picked up some 1-1/2" aluminum faced
styrofoam insulating board at Home Depot ($6 for a 4x8
sheet) and insulated the interior surfaces of the
water heater, to cut down the heat gain inside the
interior closet.  A little aluminum flashing tape
sealed the seams and dressed the edges of the styro
board so the bathroom closet has a more finished look.

As another benefit, the new smaller heater left plenty
of room for mounting a new Intelli-Power convertor in
that same closet area, replacing the heavier, bulkier
vintage Uni-volt that had sat under the leaky sink and
was not secured to the floor.  Now the space under the
bathroom vanity is all uncluttered storage space.  So
I'm feeling good that we have retained the outwardly
visible "vintage" look while updating the underlying
technologies.

John Leggett
1968 Safari
WBCCI #1154