[VAC] Re: hydrogen hazards

I'm not sure where I stand as far as my own personal
concern about hydrogen build-up while charging a
battery.  But, FWIW, here's an idea:

Why don't you use forced ventilation?  This is what's
done on engine compartments in ships to avoid the
buildup of explosive gases.

A tiny DC fan can be bought from an electronics
vendor.  These little guys use less than 0.1 amps.
Obviously, they don't build much pressure, either.
But, you could use flexible conduit with bulkhead
fittings on the battery case or even PVC pipe.  Less
than 1 CFM is more than enough to take care of this
problem.

Since hydrogen is lighter than air, put the exhaust
higher than the input.  And naturally, the system
should be positive pressure so that you aren't pulling
the exhaust gases past a tiny spark-making machine.

If you're solar, you can run the fan off the solar
directly.  This ensures that the fan only runs when
the panels are charging.  Thus, there's no discharge
of battery power by the fan when it isn't needed.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander
I can feel the drafts from my battery compartment!