[VAC] Re: Awning ideas needed for a '67 Caravel

 I've just acquired a 1972 Globetrotter 21', and am also trying to figure
out what to do for an awning. I stopped by G.I.Joe's today (it may be an
exclusively northwest chain - I don't know) and saw the 8'x8' canopy shown
in the picture for $99. They do have a website: www.gijoes.com. The one I
saw in the store seemed like a nice sturdy unit. They also come in larger
sizes and different colors.

The alternative to a fixed awning would probably be a simple tarp (about 8'
x 10') with a metal rod in a pocket along one edge, which feeds into the
awning rail. The outside corners would have to be supported by poles and
staked out with ropes, I think. From previous postings, I gather the problem
with this type of awning is the difficulty of feeding the edge into the
awning rail, and removing it every time you need to move.

I agree with the others that this meddlesome complainer just needs to be
aware there are real reasons for needing shade. If this campground is a
"place of public accomodation" it must accomodate the needs of visitors who
are disabled, so I really doubt the management would say a word against this
innocuous awning. If they do, politely suggest they contact their lawyer
first!

Kathy Fisken

Seattle, WA