[VAC] Re: Early 60s Bargman plug hook-up

Eric,
  I posted this reply in the "other" list, will repeat it here because
you repeated your question here. <<grin>>

  Wire the connector on the trailer to match the modern standards, don't
change your vehicle.

Although you can and should pay attention to the colors on the trailer
pigtail, the best method is to actually test the function of the wires
on the pigtail to confirm things. Using a battery and an inline fuse,
you can easily check out the functions, make a diagram, and wire the
connector accordingly.

When replacing a bad connector, I've often found that the pigtail cord
is also in need of replacement. Sooo... I'll prewire a length of the
special "trailer" 7-conductor cable to the new connector, then route it
to the junction area and connect it to the trailer wiring. The junction
area is often found under the trailer, perhaps near the step. There will
be a cover that's attached to the belly skin with pop rivets; proceed
accordingly.

While test-driving our 'new to us' Avion, I had the misfortune to get
the umbilical cable pinched in the hitch during a sharp turn. This
shorted out the wires, causing the brakes to lock up. Yanking the cable
out of the hitch and fiddling with it got the short cleared so I could
continue into my driveway. Although I've carried a spare connector in
the past, I'm modifying that to "carrying a spare connector, already
wired to an 8' hunk of cable". I find it kind of a bugger to terminate
that wire in the connector, something I'd much rather do "on the bench"
than "in the field, alongside the road". When I replaced the cable on
this trailer, I installed Riv-Nuts in the belly skin so
removal/replacement of the cover is done with a screwdriver rather than
a pop-rivet tool.

                                <<Jim>>