[VAC] Solardome replacement

I need to replace the solardome on my '64 Overlander.  Have the item in hand, and new gaskets.  Now what?  The solardome wasn't cheap, so I want to do it right the first time.  As I think I'll only have one shot at getting the rivet holes in the right locations, what is the best means of locating?  I haven't taken off the old one, and wonder if I should try to remove the lifters with it.  If so, how is that done?

My recollection is that someone has posted the directions for this job, but I cannot recall where I saw it.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Louis Joyner