[VAC] Re: Water Heater Removal

Title: Re: [VAC] Water Heater Removal
My experience with water heater removal was a bit different than Pete's. Without taking out part of the fiberglass endcap in the bathroom (which I did not want to do) I could not get to the rivets holding the aluminum strips on the inside coach wall enclosing the water heater. The Bowen style water heater is in front of them and blocks access.
Consequently, I took out the old heater from the outside by making a diagonal cut into the top corners of the aluminum strips from the outside which lets the water heater squeeze through with some effort by bending the aluminum strips toward the outside as the water heater comes through. After the old heater was out, I straightened the aluminum strips and then installed the 6 gal Atwood from the outside.
I used the original Bowen three-piece heater door to maintain the original look and avoided patching the trailer skin to fill in to fit the smaller current water heaters cut out.
Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind