[VAC] 56 Airstream

I'm looking at a 24' 1956 Airstream trailer. Don't
know the model. There are many things that I don't
understand about this trailer. There is an "added on"
holding tank that I'm not sure what it replaced. There
are "tail wheels" added on that I guess are there to
protect the holding tank that hangs 6" lower than the
belly pan and what appears to be an equalizer hitch
made of 1 1/4 inch steel that completely covers the
bottom of entire hitch triangle. It must weigh 200
lbs. The belly pan is torn, for about 30", along each
frame member starting at the hitch triangle.There are
two belly pan "formers" on each side in the front that
have "pushed thru" the skin. Does this indicate a
problem or is this just "normal" for an older trailer.
I know nothing about Airstreams except that I have
about decided to buy and renovate this one. Unless one
of you guys scares me out of it.
I have photographs if anyone wishes to look at any of
the areas that I have noted.
J O H N