[VAC] Re: Help with new upholstry (how to?)

RJ,
  If my coach required reupholstery, I'd probably elect to DIY (or my
wife would). It was mentioned by someone else that they tried it, and
the job turned out less-than-satisfactorily. Well, now:

Even the "pros" weren't born with their skills, they had to learn them,
and I'll guarantee that they did some poor work during the learning
phase. Here's my suggestions:

A huge mistake that many folks make when undertaking a "new" task is to
dive right in, using the stuff that they want in the final job. If I was
trying to learn to make dovetail joints in wood, I'd NOT use that
expensive walnut and attempt to make a drawer for the project I'm
working on. I'd grab a piece of cheap ol' pine and practice a bit. If I
was to attempt reupholstery, I'd use old bedsheets or even buy new ones,
and have at it. Once I knew what I was doing, I'd dive into the
$25.00/yard fabric. Having lots of experience in doing things 'wrong',
(<<grin>>), I'd probably still do a less-than-professional job. However,
unless it's really bad, chances are good that only *I* would really notice.

Someone also pointed out that night classes are available. Years ago, my
wife took such a class under the auspices of the local HS. She recovered
a Simmons Hide-A-Bed in the class and later re-did the job after the
cats destroyed it. The classes are usually not too expensive, surely
less than the labor cost of the 'pros', and you have the guidance of the
instructor. Best of all, if you mess up, you're not working with
anything that involves the safety of your rig. I'd not suggest that
someone learn to weld during the fabrication and installation of a hitch!

Anyway, it isn't always about money: I've done many projects that ended
up saving me little or nothing when it was all added up. But, the
satisfaction of being able to say, "*I* did it myself" is worth a whole
bunch. And, I never fail to learn something in the process. Take a look
at my GenSet project (see SIG); I'm not done with it yet, and have
REALLY gotten some education in the process. :-(

                             <<Jim>>