[VAC] Re: Help with new upholstry (how to?)

Fabric may stain and look unsightly but foam is the structure upon which your couch/bed is built.  We are already beginning with very old foam that has lost much of its resiliancy.  Now we're going to pay to steam clean this old foam, which will further break it down.

I recommend getting the best quality dense foam . . .  if you see your Airstream as a keeper.

I have the original upholstery in my 66 Safari.  Last summer I built a wine rack over the side couch and got some cheap red wine, which leaked.  I tried fabric cleaner and rug cleaner and general purpose cleaners like 409.  For a year I lived with ugly red stains.

Then, the other day, I was in WalMart and spotted a bottle of Folex "Instant carpet spot remover".  After so many flops I decided to read the label carefully.

    - No rinsing
    - Over 30 years of success
    - Removes (among other things) red wine

The directions indicate that it is "safe, non-toxic, non-magnetic (like who cares) and odor free".  It's non aeresol, so you just pump it on and rub it in with your hand and then dab it off and according to Folex "SPOTS WILL DISAPPEAR INSTANTLY".

It sounded like snake oil to this born sceptic but I bought a bottle.  I had nothing to lose except four bucks and maybe the red wine stains.

It worked!  I now have a stain free couch.  I thought this might help those who are considering reupholstery for cosmetic reasons. http://www.folex.net

Bob
Oceanside, CA