[VAC] Re:

Bob:

Sorry to hear about your Camper special. I remember when you bought it a
while back, and how happy you were with it. You came out of the accident OK,
I hope?

I hear cork is light for the floors, tho expensive.

I suspect the problem pulling with your Toyota will be getting the thing
rolling from a stop without cooking the clutch, and even that won't be a
problem on the level, if you're carefull. Hopefully you've got a pretty low
first gear. The toyota 2.2 liter engine is a VERY rugged mill with plenty of
pull, and was used on the Toyota motor home chassis for years. I've talked
to owners of those and they say that with the low axle ratios those rigs
came with, they are able to pull hills right along side Ford 460 chassis
motorhomes. And I know for a fact those toyota chassis were OVER the factory
GVR dry by the time Winnebago built the house on them. So, yes, with careful
use of the clutch and idling through stopsigns on hills in first, you'll
probably do better than you expect. I've towed trailers with underpowered,
stick-shift cars for years and never replaced a clutch. Just keep the revs
as low as possible as you clutch out--just above idle, whenever you can--and
get the starting torque you need by using more throttle, not higher revs. If
you have to, use a rear wheel as a clutch by pulling one rear tire onto the
gravel when you have to stop on a hill, then dumping the clutch and spinning
that wheel to get going, rather than dragging the clutch. That won't win you
style points, but tires are cheap compared to clutches. Use wheel flaps so
you don't spray your coach with gravel.

Good luck, Bob. You're an inspiration to many of us. Hope you don't hesitate
to take your rig on the road.

Dan
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines