[VAC] Re: Equal-i-zer Hitch

Dan,
The technology that provides weight equalizing is the same for darn near all the
hitches out there. Even the Hensley uses Eaz-Lift or Draw-Tite spring bars to
get that part done. The differences are in sway control/elimination/management.
The old design basic hitches have very little management of sway from the
pressure of the equalizing spring bars. Don't forget however even that amounts
to a lot of sway management compared to a tow setup without equalizer spring
bars.
The big difference is in how the hitch manages sway. Most, including Eaz-Lift,
Draw-Tite, etc. work to suppress it with friction devices, Reese uses both
friction and their dual cam systems. Pull-Rite repositions the pivot point
forward. Hensley uses a very sophisticated device. Equal-i-zers approach was to
eliminate or constrict the flexible points in a simple load equalizing hitch.
The rear L bracket mount eliminates all of the flex of a chain hook up leaving
just for and aft movement. Their hitch head, rather than a loose pivot point in
a round bar or trunion head, hold the pivot point in compression. The
combination virtually stops sway from beginning.
Of course my recent comments are about my new truck. But, I started using the
Equal-i-zer with my previous truck a 1990 Ford F250HD with a 5.8L/5 speed. And
while the new truck out muscles the trailer, the old truck was every bit as
stable a tow platform. Most of my personal evaluation was done with the older
truck.
I started towing back in the early 70's before most of these neat hitches were
on the market. The first 7-8 years I towed with a Bock equalizer hitch and a
friction sway control. There were a few occasions early in my learning curve
when I had some not to pleasant moments. Nothing serious, just WHOA! My first
chance to pull an Airstream was taking a new '73 from the CA factory to ID.
Gads, what a difference from my 26' SOB. I actually have much more time towing
with a basic equalizer than most of the new ones.

Charlie