[VAC] Calcium deposits

A local repair guy checked my hot water problem and removed one of the 1/2
copper lines that attach to the heater.  He ascertained that the mineral
(calcium) buildup was in the tank, which needed to be replaced.  His
assessment peaked my curiosity so I turned off the gas and let the tank
cool.

Then I disconnected the output pipe and sure enough there was thick white
stuff plugging the hole in the tank.  I checked with my neighbor who used to
be a plumbing contractor about the nature of H20 tanks.  I asked whether
they were just big pots or had internal chambers like a battery.  He said
that they were just big pots.  I borrowed an ice pick and attempted to
penetrate the calcium deposit.  This stuff was thick (4") and tough like
hardened plastic.  I finally got through and then I got out my drill and a
Big bit to rout a larger hole.  It became obvious that the heater would have
to be replaced soon, but when I put the plumbing back together the flow had
doubled so I can at least take a shower while I am waiting for the new
heater.

My neigbor recommended that any hot water heater be drained and flushed with
an anti-calcium agent annually.  And so it goes.
Bob
Oceanside