[VAC] Re: 25 Year Rule

Add my name to another emphatic supporter of leaving the 25 year rule as is,
for all the reasons others have mentioned:
€ It makes sense
€ Its the same criteria used for other vintage rolling stock
€ It creates inclusively, and the ability for all to join eventually
€ It encourages the valuing, preservation, and restoration of old coaches
€ It creates a forum that makes preservation/restoration easier

Making other year-of-manufacture distinctions would make more sense if the
product had changed more. But one of the charms of an airstream is its
timelessness, relative to most other products. Much of what is said on the
list applies to decades of airstream production, and the variations are of
interest to most of us, I believe.

I feel so strongly about this because I am a vintage airstream owner BECAUSE
of this list. It's that simple. When I first started looking for a trailer,
I didn't think I could afford an airstream. When I stumbled on this list, I
realized that with the value of all the knowledge and support the list
provides, I couldn't afford to buy any other brand of old trailer--I
wouldn't have accessible to me the support system that would allow me to
repair, restore, and maintain it. I purposely bought vintage, not only
because that's what I could afford, but so I could take advantage of this
list, and so I could enjoy the restoration process. My first use of my coach
was as an office. I unexpectedly ended up living as well as working in it
(very comfortably!) for several months. I'm now completely in love with it,
have compiled a long list of tips and info as a result of lurking on this
list, and look forward to gradually outfitting the rig with insulation,
upgraded heating, solar electric, a cork floor, some interior mods, and to
eventually have a completely restored, boondackable liveaboard in mint
condition that I can take anywhere and enjoy. It's a long-term project, and
I like it that way--I'm 43, and I plan to own and use this rig for many,
many decades, using it through various life stages as time and inclination
allows, for vacations and even work trips with friends, children,
grandchildren . . . who knows? I read every post from Terry Tyler and others
with delight, looking forward to the day when, thanks to their inspiration
and advice, I can join them in spending much of my time living in my rig.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever the decision, thanks, all, for your generous
advice, inspiration, and information.

Dan Weeks
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines