[VAC] Re: Alterations

My answer may surprise many.

In my capacity, I get to see a very large number of restorations and
customizations.  Many of you know my feelings about trying to make a
vintage Airstream into something it isn't - it usually results in
something that only it's owner could love....

Here's the surprising part, if done correctly, I feel modifications can
be done that will improve the functionality and value at the same time.
In my archive photo section there are 7 Caravanners, and each had a
different interior layout.  Due to the degree of customization
available back then, there is no fixed "standard" interior. In
researching the Flying Clouds from 1955 to 1962, I found 5 very
distinct original layouts, with 100's of more subtle differences.

What do I recommend?  Any changes you make, do it in the style of the
trailer and era, using the same materials and methods of construction,
re-using as many of the original fixtures and fittings as possible.

For example, the bathroom on the Caravanner is usually in the aft
curbside cabinetry.  Shower options in that era were usually raised
galvanized floor pans supported by the black water tank.  The toilet
sat in the shower pan to one side, and the walls were either painted
Masonite walls or thin stainless steel sheet.  I've even seen aluminum
(badly corroded, though).

When you rebuild the bathroom, you will know you've succeeded if it
looks like it was there from the beginning.  This is not the place for
Corian, fancy wallpaper or new parts from Home Depot. Save all that for
trailers that are already gutted. You want to see metal fittings,
chrome & porcelain fixtures and varnished birch plywood in thicknesses
and cut like the adjoining cabinets.  Think it can't be done?  Guys are
doing it every day.

Do your research of want you want to accomplish, look at other trailers
with the features you want, gather your materials, develop a plan, and
go for it.  My one big caution.  Do not proceed until you are confidant
that you will be able to successfully finish.  Once you start removing,
you are removing from the pool another trailer that a future Airstream
lover could restore....

Best of luck,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com