[VAC] Thetford Slide-O-Matic

This is my second question of the day. I hope I'm not abusing my welcome, but I am sitting here and you're sitting there. I promise not to ask any questions tomorrow.
I removed my toilet to fix a black water problem and to strengthen the floor under it. Before reinstalling it, I'm wondering if this toilet is worth reinstalling or maybe I should research a replacement. The configuration is water-in to a valve, water-out to a vacuum breaker (v-360-a, sloan valve co.), and back to the rim of the bowl. There's another hose from the bowl back to the slide, which is plastic with an internal spring. This configuration is messy and as usual, with my unit, has silicone holding some of the components in place. One of the vacuum breaker hoses seems to be repaired with a garden hose and clamps.
Following Wally's advice, I don't want to just change it, but I do want to improve it if I need to do so. I can't operate the toilet because the unit is winterize right now.  Can someone tell me how this toilet works and, if in practice, are all of these gadgets needed or does one basically just uses the sprayer to flush the toilet.
Doublely Thanks,
Rick Langer
'66 Globe Trotter
p.s. If the vacuum breaker is an intregal part, does it need to be piped to the closet and then back to the toilet?