[VAC] Hehr Vents

Restoration can be overwhelming, so I decided, that for today, I would choose a simple task. And after three hours of no success, I decided to confirm with the experts. I have an operable Hehr vent that doesn't closed on one side because of the configuration of the vent operator (made by Ladeau Mfg. LA). The internal screw mechanism extends past the outer housing by one inch, so when in the closed position does not close the vent. The previous owner said he was told this was by design, which makes sense in providing a minimal amount of ventilation at all times. But the vent seems to be designed to close, with a substantial gasket and seat that in my case are never used. Also, in my unit the fanned vent is always open, providing plenty of airflow.
So, I've tried everything I could think of, short of destruction. Does anyone have experience with these openers? Are they designed not to close the vent and if so does anyone have ideas on alterring them so they do close?
Thank you,
Rick Langer
'66 Globe Trotter