[VAC] Re: Silicone vs. vulkem

Gerald J. You don't put vulkem on Airstream sheet metal, you put in the
"plasticoat."
Unless you stripped the plasticoat off, the bond is to the paint and not the
metal.
Tremco says 116 is for wood and masonry. It is also cheap. Vulkem 616 is for
metals and the like and Airstream puts it on prior to painting, at least
until the prefinished metal was used. Why would Airstream use 616, that costs
much more than the 116, if they were equal. They wouldn't. Also Airstream
does not and has not recommended 116. They also don't recommend silicone
sealers but people still use it. Bondo is not recommended to seal water leaks
between the opening windows and the frame that is riveted to the shell, but
some people do it regardless. Bottom line is that you can use anything that
makes you happy, but what a person may decide to use in difference to
Airstream should be the exception and not the rule. Airstream has an on going
program to use the best products that they can, and many times, in spite of
cost. How we as individuals choose to repair our Airstream products is
certainly our choice. To go against what Airstream has developed or
researched, generally speaking, is not a good idea. They already invented the
wheel, and it's us, the consumer, that debates the wisdom. Gosh, I bet we
could get a tremendous thread going on how General Motors should build cars.
Sometimes accepting things as they normally are makes ones life much less
complicated and or stressful.
Discussions for what they are, is great. Why is there always that element
that continues to ridicule Airstream, but, still continues to buy them. Hmmm,
doesn't  accomplish much, except the usual confusion.   Andy