[VAC] Re: awning fabric

Howdy Phil:

I actually rebuilt some awnings without sewing.  An unexpected storm ripped
the main awning off my Safari.  It tore adjacent to the bead mount on the
trailer no doubt due to the age and sun damage.

I got some polyurathane glue and after trimming off the damaged part, folded
the material over the bead, glued and clamped it.  That was about 3 years
ago and it's still going strong.

I later added an Alumi-Gard cover over it to keep the sun off.  The original
awning had a soft UV resistant gray cover, but that was the part that
failed.

I also completely rebuilt the small awnings that I have on the rear and side
widows without sewing them either.  I use pieces of 1 x 2 and C-clamps to
compress the laps until the glue set up.  Waxed paper if needed.

I used Sunbrella material for the small awnings.  Good stuff.  I chose the
Silver color.  Matched the aluminum very well.  The main awning is still the
original 60's striped material (Carefree).

BTW Phil,  how big an awning are you envisioning?  Putting mine back on the
trailer a couple of times was really a pain, involving a ladder etc.  A new
Zip Dee would be pretty nice....Oh, well.

Good luck,

GQ '67 Safari