[VAC] Hitch set up

Hello Airstreamers,
 As I get set up to pull my '71 Tradewind for the first time I have some
questions about my hitch set up. My truck is a 3/4 ton Dodge 4X4 that has the
top of the hitch receiver opening at 23 3/4" high. I got the Reese weight
distributing and anti sway stuff. I got the adjustable draw bar with the
longer drop and the lowest setting puts the ball still 1 1/2" higher than the
19 1/2" specified by the Airstream manual. I'm wondering how critical these
dimensions are. It seems to me that since they show passenger cars pulling
the trailers back then that 19 1/2 to the top of the ball might have been
taking into account the effect of the tongue weight on the car springs to be
then leveled with the weight distributing set up. My whole situation seems to
indicate to me that I'm at the opposite end of the effective range of the
weight distribution possibilities. Since I have no experience with any of
this I wonder if there are any factors I am not taking into account. I have
not really checked it out on a level spot yet. Keeping the driveway plowed is
more of a priority right now. I did drop the trailer onto the ball and the
truck came down a couple of inches. There is some stuff stored in the
trailer, possibly simulating a loaded for travel situation. If the trailer
and truck are basically level does it matter if I'm at the bottom end, so to
speak, of the weight distribution set up or is that 1 1/2" difference going
to lever my front wheels up? I'm just hoping this set up will be close enough
without having another drop bar fabricated. Anyway, I think you get the
picture. I'm sure I'm not the first to deal with this.
Best Regards,
Erik Murray