[VAC] Re: '64 Overlander Windows

Hi All,

If I'm beating this thread to death, please feel free to flog me. ;)  I
suppose what I'm seeing here is an inconsistency in Airstream design. I
am certain that the coach is not a '66, '67, or '68 with the corning
windows, as aside from being curved, there are metal clips at the bottom
which pull the windows in at the bottom on those models. Also, there are
no frames on those models, just a hinge at the top. Beginning in '69
Airstream went to the 'modern' style of windows with the rounded corners
and the heavier frames. It is definitely a 1964, or earlier, as it has
the small door within the door that opens to reveal the screen door,
rather than a separate screen door. There are heavy latches on the
inside of the door that hold the 'screen door' in place. There are no
such latches on the windows, nor are there holes in the frames that
would indicate their prior existence. The windows are flat, they do have
frames, and it does say Hehr on the frames.

A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes,
unfortunately I don't have a picture, so I'll try to describe the
mechanism in less than a thousand words. :)  There is a small, square
mechanism, in the upper right inside corner of each window.  A single
crank extends from this square mechanism, on the inside of the coach.
Coming out of the side of the mechanism, there is a rod, about 1/2" in
diameter, that runs the length of the window at the top.  Attached to
this rod, there are two arms, one on each side of the window that rotate
with the rod when the crank is turned. These arms slide in channels in
the window frame.  I assume, since there are no latches, that the
windows are held in place by the crank mechanism. I just find it odd
that the cranks work to open the windows, and hold them open, but won't
hold them closed.

Unless the picture of the part on the Inland RV web site is wrong, these
are not the same mechanisms. So, do the mechanisms I have described
sound familiar to anyone? Are there suitable replacements? I have
multiple concerns with the windows, primarily, loss or damage during
travel, water leakage during wet weather, and burglary while the coach
is unattended.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered suggestions and provided advice
on this problem - I really appreciate your help. Also, I apologize for
my delay in responding, I receive the list in digest form so I only get
one BIG message a day, around 5:30pm Mountain time. :)

-Ted