[VAC] Rims split and otherwise

Hello Folks! -

I think I need some instruction concerning nomenclature covering wheels.

Especially Original Airstream Equipment.

I think I need to learn about "Split Rims"

When I think of Split Rims, I think of commercial truck sized wheels that

used to be the subject of 60 Minutes type of reports revealing the horrors

and death tire dealers faced when trying to service them. Retaining springs

which flew off decapitating the feckless workers doomed to such employments.

Of these I am aware and wary of.

But what About Split Rims on Airstreams? Are these a similar creature? I have

had some wheels called "split rims" which are the 15" originals issued with

the trailer. They seem to be of a two piece riveted-together construction.

Does this make them Split? Are they unwise to use? While they have clips to

hold on hubcaps (or are they wheel covers??), they have no retaining spring

of death on them... I am a bit puzzled... Certainly nothing new...

They balance easily, are rust free, quite solid and hold the "Inverted Baby

Moons" I like so well.  What in the world is the best terminology to use to

get some more vintage wheels, or safer replacements if that's the best Idea?

Thanks in advance

Happy Holidays folks!

Tired in Indiana

Alex Kensington