[VAC] Re: Polishing VS Acid Etching

John & Cindy

I've got experience acid etching.

2 things - very difficult to get it even looking, and
2 it'll wreck the pure aluminum "AlClad" layer that is
part or what makes Airstreams mirrory when they are
polished.

my advice - either polish it to a mirror, and let in
grow it's natural even patina, or (and I haven't asked
him, but I'm guessing this is what he does) if you're
looking to get a shine like Craig Dorsey does
(Vintage-vacations.com) give it a nice even hand
polish with a automotive polishing compound (3M? (not
aluminum polish)) or use a mild aluminum polish like
met-all.   I'll warn you though that getting that even
finish will be nearly as tough as getting it to be a
mirror.  you decide, but you can have a nice looking
trailer generally if you just wash it often.

I don't think they came from the factory as mirror
polished, but they sure came out spic and span, with
new aluminum.  now way to regain the new aluminum look
after it's been parked between a couple of trees.

Toby