[VAC] Polishing an Airstream

Lefty,
I guess I'm going to be another idiot attempting to polish my 57 30'
Sovereign of the Road. How much of that 5 or 6  8+ hours a day involved
removing the clear coat? My trailer doesn't have clear coat and never did.
It doesn't look too bad at the moment however it definitely needs polishing.
It spent most of its life in Texas. Would that climate have helped or hurt
in minimizing the oxidation build-up? I believe the earlier trailers used
Aluclad material for the skins. Does this make it tougher to polish or
easier? I live in the North East so I 'm not going to attempt anything until
the spring. I need to replace several pieces of the skin and I assume that I
should do it with the same alloy material so as to maintain a consistent
gloss to the whole trailer. Does anyone have any experiences using less
expensive skin material and still end up with good results? What material is
acceptable for the belly pan and does it get polished as well?
Thanks,
Colin Hyde
WBCCI #10247, VAC