[VAC] Angled handle rachet screw drivers.

I have used many types of screw drivers, even tried some of those "info
mertial" things,  I find the best screw driver is the Snap -on big handled
rachet style unit with the tip storage in the head.

I have one of their high dollar angled handle ones and find that when
trying to break free a rusted or troublesome screw that keeping the tip
straight in the slots yield the best results.  I have a hard time keeping
the angled handle types straight in the head, there is no way to apply
force straight down with those things.  Especially with Phillips screws,
this "keep it straight" mentality works well.

Pounding an old tip in will help open the grooves up but I take a pick tool
and scratch out the grooves to get the old "goopenpuky" out before I put
the tip in.  I then insert the good tip in straight and give the
screwdriver a light tap to be sure it is down as far as it will go and
straight in the hole.  The tap will also act as a shock to the bite the
screw has on the hole and help to loosen it up.  Cheap bit are dangerous if
they splinter or fail when you rely on them the most.  "The most dangerous
knife is a dull one".

I do use the angled rachet driver when I don't need to apply down force but
working on old stuff force is many times used.  It's good for putting
screws back in though.

Next time you see a Snap-on truck pass by, flag him down and ask him to
show you his big handled rachet screw driver with the tips in the handle, I
think you will like it alote.  I cannot sleep if I don't know where mine is!

Jim Bounds