[VAC] Curtains and screws

Hi,

I just had to comment on making curtains (drapes) of the pleated kind.  I have done several trailer in my 26 years of A/S and the very hardest part is drapes.  They must be measured and sewn precisely to fit snuggly when installed. I did a 31 ft 75 and it took me about two weeks of long days to accomplish this.  There were around the corner windows both in the front and in the rear.  If I remember right there were 158 pleats in the front curtains.  One needle on the machine would only last a short time because I was using a regular machine and not a commercial variety. It seem that the fabric pleats were so thick that when the needle started through, the fabric was still moving forward causing the needle to break as it hit the sole plate because it was out of time.  This also damged the sole  plate which had to be replaced. NOT FUN!  Personally I would not make these for anyone but myself!  I have found a few tricks to help. 1. I used heavy duty stitchwitchry for the headings and turning the fabric down one extra time.  Much easier to stitch and fully washable, if you have used a washable fabric and preshrunk both the fabric and the lining material.  I often used very good quality sheets for lining fabric. Also have made the drapes in two trailers from sheets, you know they were made to take rough service and wash well without fading.

As for the ols screws--I have found that if you spray WD40 around the old screws and let them set a few days and then spray again, the screws quite often come out.  If you always spray the screws before installing they resist rust and corrosion quite well.  It is a cheap fix and might be worth you time.  I just spray some WD40 in a small container like a yogurt carton and put the screws  in it while working.

Just speaking from experience and hop it helps someone.

Kathy #17792