[VAC] Re: Chris Deam - hillbilly interiors

Hi Toby and the VAC group,

I have to admit to ignorance of this string of e-mail,
and I am not about to touch the hillbilly stuff, but I
can speak a little to glue in place of rivets. Many of the
leading aircraft manufacturers are now using glue in
place of rivets. If you fly a recent corporate jet sized
aircraft, it is an aluminum structure much like the
Airstream with composite skins glued to the structure.
Some even use composite structure. And guess what?
They are stronger, more durable and will outlast the
riveted aluminum. Rivets and use of the vehicle
impart stress cracks that start at the holes. Glued joints
do not contribute to the start of the stress cracks. If
Airstream were to start using glued joints, I for one
would love to have one. One of the major causes of
leaks between the skins are the rivets and their
contribution to gaps, holes, cracks and broken seals.
The glued joints on an Airstream will even outlast the ones
on the road now, and I still don't know how long they
will last because this group just keeps them going,
and going, and going, (like the eveready battery bunny).
hi hi

George
'89 Excella 29'