[VAC] Re: axles--when to replace

I have been trying to get a definitive answer on this topic for a while.  I
spoke to Jim in Sales at Henschen (ext. 102).  He was very friendly and
helpful.

Jim says that it is fine for an older axle to be between 2 and 3 o'clock
with the trailer loaded (or 9 and 10, depending on your perspective).  He
says that a new axle will sit higher, but that the settling is OK, so long
as there is no unusual tire wear.

If desired, replacement on my unit (68) is apparently a drop-in, with no
modifications required on the frame or brackets.  A newer axle may have
larger (stronger) brakes and a more conventional lug pattern.  Plus, it
would obviously increase my ground clearance. But, it looks like I'm OK for
now, even though my links are sitting right at 3 o'clock when unloaded.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander