[VAC] 67 GT Trunk

While looking through my newly purchased Service Manual at the "One-Stop
Service Center" I noticed that the water inlet hose and the electric cable
run out through the trunk opening.  My trunk is not original equipment, and
a previous owner had fashioned a replacement from an aluminum street sign.
It looks and works OK but I don't know what the original looked and worked
like.  When hooked up to shore power and water the trunk is left off
exposing the trunk area to the elements.  My question is: is this normal?
One would think that you could be hooked up and seal off the trunk.  I plan
to modify the trunk lid to allow the services to pass through while keeping
the trunk on.  Any feed back on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
folks.  Dave H.