[VAC] Re: plywood floor & curved windows

Hi Ed,

Sticking my nose in something again .  .  ., but I don't think it's wise to
try to use a sawsall to cut the bolts off.  Without regard to the year/model
of  your unit, my '69 Safari  most likely isn't unique with regard to how
the shell is fastened to the frame.

The bolts you see inside the channel only bolt to the floor.  The floor
"under" the channel is bolted to the frame.  Don't know why the engineers
did this except that it might have made flipping the fame during
construction easier.  There aren't that many bolts to deal with.  Most
fasteners in the channel are sheet metal screw, are rusted and very
difficult to get out.  The screws are hardened and will sap most saw blades.
I chose to use a rotary file and cut the heads off if the screws didn't
move.

I cut the bolts out with a bolt cutter if I could get to them.  Otherwise, I
used an angle grinder blade to cut bolts out.  Especially in the front and
rear where the bolts/rivets pass from the channel through the floor/angle
iron attachment for the skin/cross frame brace.  It's obvious that using
this approach that the floor be broken out, but getting the rotted floor out
is the objective anyway?

All this is with regard to ladder type A/S frame.

BTW, cutting small sections of floor out can be easy by using a rotozip bit
and metal cutting drill bits.  Worked well for me.

                                            '69 Safari, Joy