[VAC] Re: heaters

I thought of a good compromise while reading the most recent postings.

Heaters are rated in BTUs per hour.  A catalytic stays on continuously,
while the furnace cycles according to a thermostat.  Thus, an 8000 BTU (per
hour) cat heater can match a 24000 BTU furnace that is on only 1/3 of the
time.  In fact, the cat heater will exceed it because you get 100% of the
heat (including latent heat from condensate), whereas some is lost in the
furnace.

This brought me to the realization that while one might be tempted to by a
furnace of merely adequate output, a larger one could save you some battery.
Undoubtedly, the larger unit probably draws more current for a larger fan.
But, it is unlikely to be proportionately higher.  This merits some
research, but could be worthwhile when you're trying to get all you can out
of the old marine battery.

I think it is unfair to compare 70's model coleman "catalytic" heaters to
the newer ones I've seen.  But, the potential for malfunction does have
alarming consequences.  So, I'm leaning more towards the furnace.  So much
for heating the place with the old LP wall-mounted lantern!

Jon in SC
68 Overlander