[VAC] Sun 11/04 - Best Laid Plans

Hi Airstreamers,

Today was the start of our 12th season as Snowbirds. We drove all of 100
miles from Upstate New York to a Coast to Coast Campground ($6 full hookup
site) in Accord, NY. Thankfully, the Van and Airstream are still compatible
and traveled well together. There were two unrelated snags to deal with
after we settled into a campground.

The first was we didn't take into consideration the altitude of the
campground. It's in a valley too deep for our satellite dish to receive a TV
signal (tonight is the Emmy Awards). No local TV channels either. Figures.

The second was a broken plastic water inlet spout where the fresh water is
directed into the main tank. The hose connector on the inside of the inlet
door broke away from the housing which allowed the hose to fall off the
spout and rest along outside wall.

The problem was evident each time we turned right (water inlet door is on
the street side).  Water would start running out of the Airstream along the
lower belly pan in front of the tandem wheels. Luckily, the outside
temperature was not freezing so the wet wooden floor will continue to air
dry.

Because the water tank was full when we made a right turn, the water came up
into the hose and gushed out. I can imagine what would have occurred the
next time I refilled the water tank, if I  hadn't noticed the disconnect.

Tonight, I disassembled the interior cabinet woodwork and gained access to
the plastic hose, the inlet water spout and both connectors.  If I was
PlasticMan with arms that could extend another foot, it would have been a
lot easier.

Tomorrow, my plan is to locate another outside water inlet spout with a two
inch adapter for connecting to the hose leading into the fresh water tank.
There is an Airstream Dealer about 300 miles south of here (Parkview in
Smyrna, Delaware). Previous experiences with them have been excellent.

In the morning, I'll call to find out if they have the part stocked in their
inventory.  Now, I'll find out how good an investment it was to buy the
factory manual (20" X 11" X 4", weighs 10 pounds, bought at WBCCI Flea
Market for $10) .

Terry
1977 31' Airstream Excella 500
1978 Ford Van E-250 with 460 CID