[VAC] Re: catalytic heaters vs. furnaces

I have read in the brochures for new airstreams that the water tank is
heated by the exhaust fan.  Perhaps the ducts heat the tanks in some models.
In my 68, they definitely do not do this directly.  However, the water tank
is under the couch, and the black tank is packed in behind a layer of
styrofoam.  (Rebuilding the frame for this is another project--the old one
is so rusty I'm afraid to use it.)  So, I think that simply heating the
trailer is enough.

My NT-22A (also vintage) says it pulls about 5 amps on battery power.  That
could add up.  Most of the places I want to go are campsites, but don't have
power hookups.  So, it's batteries or nothing.

I would love to hear from some other users of catalytic heaters.  Is CO a
problem with them?  Are you happy with them?  Where do you recommend
installing them?  Who sells them at good prices?  What's the best brand?
I'm just fishing for general info from anyone inspired to talk about the
topic.

Oh, while we're on this topic, there's another important consideration in
furnace repair.  Make sure to keep the positive pressure  side of the blower
airtight.  The firebox is pressurized and so combustion gases want to get
out to ambient pressure.  BUT, the fresh air that blows over the firebox is
under positive pressure, too (that's what forces it through the ducts).
Make sure to KEEP IT THAT WAY.  The little note telling you to keep the
access door shut while in operation means business.  I may even put a seal
around mine for good measure.  If you have more pressure outside of the
firebox, leaks may not be so dangerous.  You don't want them under any
circumstances, but this will provide some additional safety.

But as I think someone else already said, if you don't understand mechanical
things, don't start with furnaces :)

Jon in SC
68 Overlander