[VAC] Re: Suburban Furnace Questions

Tim,

At the risk of getting in trouble again, I suggest that you get the Service
Manual from Secretarial Services.  It describes the furnace and it's
operation/removal/installation in great detail.

With that said, here's my comments to use as you will or not.

You're right that the outside vent must be removed, in it's entirety -
there's more to remove under the outside vent and screen.  Shut off the
propane, disconnect the gas line at the furnace.  You've already learned how
to take the cover off the front.  (Some situations require a hole to be cut
in the overhead shelf to operate the cover hasp.)  The furnace slides out of
the case.  With mine, I had to bow the top of the case to release the
furnace so it would
slide out completely.  The wiring presented a challenge, so I used a radio
shack connector set in the harness.  Once the connectors are installed, you
can't mix up the wiring.  It might be smart to make a pig tail to match the
plug so you can do a static test outside the trailer (bench test) where
you'll need adequate DC and propane.

BTW, it's really important to be sure that you have adequate DC to run the
motor.  Like the converter must be operational?  Realizing that you've
already checked this, it's worth a reminder.

My furnace will run, but the blower bearing is going out and I'll have to
replace it or the furnace.  Since the plenum contains the fire and the air
exchange takes place over the outside of the plenum, this type of furnace is
dangerous.  Not a good idea to make it last for 35 years.  I doubt that the
plenum is stainless steel, but it could be.  Just keep in mind that the
pressure in the firebox can push a lot of exhaust gases through a small
crack in the plenum - a carbon monoxide alarm is critical.  Guess this is
why I read that many restorers use the cat heater rather than the furnace.

As I mentioned in the opening of this information, the Service Manual is the
best source for the facts, just the facts!  My best recommendation is to
read the service manual.  If you don't have one, take the unit to a
qualified person.

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy