[VAC] Stereo Installation, 69 Overlander

Dear friends:
Armed with printed email messages, I ventured back (4th trip) to Circuit City to get yet another JVC radio/cassette/CD changer installed in my 69 Overlander International.  This time the manager brought his DVM & confirmed that the uppermost fused link in the rear convenience center registered 18V DC and 2V AC.  The 18V modulated back to 12V on a second & subsequent readings.  His solution was to swap the loads on this (#1) fuse lead with the #3 (from top) lead, a steady 12V DC, no AC.  The system worked great.  That was 11AM.  At 4 PM it was working but at 8 PM all the 12V appliances were totally unresponsive & dark.  The 110V cube heater was still running & other 110V applications are fine.  All circuit breakers are set correctly & no fuses blew.  I had the battery tested  at Circuit City, a 12V marine Deep Cycle putting out a reasonable 12V +- a few points, little electrolyte missing.  The converter is a newer Newmark unit, age unknown.  I was thinking of hooking up the tow vehicle to see if that would resurrect the 12V, or wondered if that might cause a problem on my Durango.  Ideas anyone? I bought a digital multitester at Radio Shack & plan to learn how to use it.
Jeff Miller
69 Underlighted
01 Durango