[VAC] Re: Installing a trans temp gauge

I have been following this with interest and due to lack of experience with
overheating transmissions, I am wondering if the transmission tends to heat
up "instantly", or is this a somewhat slow process with high temp building
up slowly as the truck labors up the hill???  There was some indication
that parking was as bad as a big hill.????

I can understand having an eye on the gage as you start up the hill and
downshifting or something as the needle moves up into the higher than
normal area... If the needle suddenly jumps to overheated and the smoke
comes out of the engine compartment all about the same time, I don't see
much difference if the sensor is in the pan or in the return line.... I can
understand the point that the line to the cooler gives more of an
indication of the peak operating tamp at any one time... I could also buy
the idea that the return line gives the indication of when the system is no
longer correcting the higher temp in the tranny....would not the return
line and the pan have pretty much the same temp.???   I am also having a
little trouble believing that all of the gage mfgs have the wrong idea and
are mistakenly putting the gage in the return line... wassup u xperts???
When the truck mfg installs a gage, where do they put it???

I am currently pulling about 7K lb with a 7K rated setup... If I could save
a transmission by adding a gage, the cost would be negligible....Where
would the "weak link" be... is it the trans, I have a little trouble
believing that unless there are different transmissions for all the
different engine setups...would a 6 liter Silverado have a different
transmission than a 5.3 liter Silverado??? The towing rating is sure
different....The dealer told me today that changing the rear end from 3.42
to 3.73 would raise my rating by 1 K lb...to paraphrase a little, I seem to
have bought more chain than I can swim with....I bought the locking
differential to help with the snow, and now the cost of changing the rear
end ratio will probably kill that idea... I am starting to wonder, do I
need to talk to US Gear, or Banks to turn the rear end into a two speed
kind of animal????

I any of you truck experts can get me on the right track, I would
appreciate it...

Thanks in advance...

Jim Clark