[VAC] Restoration Report - 22 Foot Argosy

This is to report to the list on the results of our restoration project.
I'm posting it because I think it might be helpful to someone considering a
similar exercise.  It'll be long but its easy to delete if you are not
interested.

Why an old Airstream?  We started RVing last year with a used late model 32
foot class A gas motorhome.  We used it for extended touring (9,000 miles)
plus shorter trips to visit grandkids, etc.  We loved "camping" with the
motorhome but I didn't like the driving experience (poor brakes and
handling, noisy overworked engine, squeaks and rattles everywhere).  Also,
it was complicated taking along a towed vehicle (a motorcycle in our case)
for local transportation.  So last Spring we sold the motorhome and started
looking at smaller 5th wheels and travel trailers.  We could not seem to
find a "high quality" small trailer.  While looking, we came across the VAC
and this mail list.  I like doing projects.  I built an airplane and found a
mail list like this one to be a big help in making that project a success.
So we began investigating old Airstreams.

Finding the Argosy.  Since we wanted a trailer for touring, not extended
stays in one place, we were looking for a smaller unit - about 20 feet.  We
checked out a middle 60's Overlander (too big) and an early 70's
Globetrotter.  The Globetrotter was the right size but it just didn't
"click" with us.  A 22 foot 1973 Argosy was listed on the Internet at an
Airstream dealer a couple of hundred miles away.  I flew out and looked at
it a couple of times but felt that the $3,950 price was too high for this
old trailer that needed refinishing.  After looking some more on the
Internet and wanting to get started, I decided to really check out the
Argosy.  Hooked it up at the dealership and found that the mechanical stuff
worked - furnace, air, water heater, fridge, stove, ceiling fan, water pump,
faucets, brakes, lights, etc.  The interior cabinents, sofa, dinette, etc.
were intact but the upholstery was worn.  The exterior finish was bad (it
had been poorly repainted).  The dealer said that the previous owner told
him there was a "problem" with the black water tank, which the dealer had
not checked out.  He offered to give us a good deal on a used load
distributing hitch with a mechanical sway control. He also offered to use
his contacts with the local Chevy dealer to find a decent Tahoe at a fair
price.  We decided to go ahead.

The next week we went back, checked out the three Tahoes he had found and
bought a higher mileage (70,000) white 1999 model.  He did the hookup (brake
controller) and off we went.  The 200 mile trip home went great.  Closer
inspection at home revealed that everything was filthy dirty but no big
surprises.  So, into the restoration project.

Restoration.  We did the following:
1.  Had new cushions made up using new fabric and 6" firm foam in place of
the 5" soft foam we found in the trailer.  This was for the couch along the
street side and the dinette in the nose.  Plus the bolsters in front of the
couch and in the rear bath above the toilet.

2.  Stripped the paint from the exterior and had it repainted white to match
the Tahoe with GM pewter gray for the lower molding, "banana skins" and
hitch area.  Apologies to those on the list who furnished the original
Argosy paint codes - we decided to match the Tahoe.)  Replaced the vinyl
molding around the belt line with a black insert from Airstream dealer. We
did not paint the strip around the windows.  I think it looks good with the
aluminum and rivets polished.  Lets a bit of that "Airstream" heritage peek
through from under all that paint.  I also replaced most of the marker
lights and reflectors.  They looked tired and weathered and had corrosion on
several of the bulb holders, grounds, and connectors.  All inexpensive,
standard parts.

3.  Replaced the four wheels and tires.  The tires were bad and after
dismounting them I didn't like the looks of the two different types of
wheels that were on the trailer.  Had new Dexter wheels painted to match the
pewter gray banana skins and added baby moon hub caps.  Replaced the shocks
with the regular Airstream part number.

4.  On the windows and doors replaced the following: interior plastic trim
around the wrap-around windows in front, weather-strip around the doors and
windows, the interior screen material on all the windows; all of the
"brush-like" material that seals around the operating rods on the windows;
most of the plastic catches in the side of the window channels that control
how far the window is open.  Had a new thermo pane window made to fit the
frame of the main front window (the seal between the panes had deteriorated
allowing some fogging).

5.  On the floor, dropped the belly pan in the rear to check out the
plumbing problem and found about 3" of rot around the rear floor under the
toilet and vanity (evidently the problem described in RJ Dial Web pages).
Cut that away and spliced in new exterior plywood back about a foot into the
trailer.  On the remainder of the floor took up the old tile (12" squares)
and replaced with inexpensive vinyl tiles - easy and cheap.  Had a couple of
pieces of carpet edged for under the dinette and right inside the door.

6.  For the "black water plumbing problem", removed the black water tank,
set it on sawhorses, filled it and could not make it or its valve leak.  Did
find that someone had spliced in a 6" piece of garden hose in one of the
copper water pipes in the area.  Tried to replace with real copper.  Found I
couldn't make any fittings fit.  Thanks to VAC list discussions going on at
the time concluded I was experiencing the stretched by freezing copper pipe
problem.  Put in a new piece of hose with new clamps.

7.  Replaced the toilet with a new Thetford.  This just for cosmetics.  The
old one worked fine.  In doing this rebuilt the platform which surrounds the
black water tank and holds the toilet.  Replaced the 1/4" material that was
pop riveted together with 3/4" plywood screwed together.  Much more stable.
Replaced the old stiff yellow shower curtain.

8.  Replaced the window drapes with new ones from Jim in New Port Richey,
FL.  Got reference from VAC list.  They are beautiful and fit perfectly.
Well worth the three month wait.

9.  Replaced one of the three-way light switches in the ceiling.  Easy,
using standard parts from the hardware store.  Evidently the light in Argosy
is simpler because I had no problem finding the right switch (no long stem)
at local hardware store.

10.  Decided to build in a small microwave in the closet along side the
range on the curbside.  It is in the closet and I made an opening for it
facing forward over the range.  I think it looks good and it is really
handy.  Ran a 110 volt line over to it.

11.  Installed a battery disconnect switch along with a voltmeter and amp
meter.  This Argosy has no hint of a control panel a see mentioned in some
of the posts about Airstreams.

12.  Peeled off the old laminate on the dinette table and installed new
laminate.

Tow vehicle.  We have made just two trips from our home in Western
Illinois - a weekend trial run to Wisconsin followed by a two week trip to
Florida.  The 1999 4WD Tahoe (5.7 liters) and simple load distributing hitch
has been entirely adequate so far - about 3,000 miles.  This was probably
80% on Interstates with no real mountains - just the hills through Tennessee
and North Georgia.  But we did have some strong crosswinds mixed with heavy
trucks which caused no sway problems.  Gas mileage averaged about 12.3 and
we drove 65 mph or sometimes a bit less.

The trips went pretty well for such an old trailer.  The most disappointing
problem was that the unlatching handle for the Carefree awning fell off so
we can't unroll it.  It worked fine when we remounted it after painting but
that handle just disappeared on the first road trip.  So far, no luck in
finding a replacement.  We had to replace the shower hose which burst after
just a few uses.  Also, the piece of hose mentioned in 7. above began
leaking slightly when hooked up to RV park water pressure in Florida for a
period of time.  It had not leaked when tested with the water pump or
pressure at home.  So that has to be opened up and I will have to replace
enough of the copper to get to sound pipe.  I know its the right thing to do
but I thought maybe I could avoid doing it.

We liked using the trailer.  Negatives are the trouble of converting the
sofa and dinette to beds each day and reduced storage compared with the
motorhome.  And its a little more trouble to set up (leveling, etc.) after a
day on the road.  But on balance, for us, this is a great way to go.  I
really appreciate the good construction of even our "economy" model trailer.
And its fun having something a little different than all those other
"campers" out there.  We just need to apply a little creativity to speed up
the bed changeover and organize the storage.  Still to do next Spring is to
change the charger/converter to a more modern unit and install some sort of
mini TV and radio/music system.

In closing I want to thank all of you who contribute to the VAC list.  I
found the list to be an important source in virtually every step of the
project.  The few times I asked questions directly I always got good info
promptly.  And on many more occasions the questions others had were the same
ones I had been wondering about.  A special thanks to those of you who keep
patiently answering those same questions over and over that we newcomers
seem to have.  We hope to see and thank some of you in person at a rally
next year!

Keith and Jean Williams
1973 Argosy 22
Moline, Illinois